Mound Cemetery at Fifth and Scammel Streets
Mound Cemetery takes its name from the prominent Conus Mound whose construction was in the earlier Adena period.
Fortunately Marietta, unlike many other midwestern communities, still retains some of its prehistoric earthworks. This is due to the foresight of the Ohio Company of Associates who in 1788 named the mounds and decided to preserve large parts of these earthworks in public parks. The members of the Ohio Company actually undertook an effort at dendrochronology and harvested a tree from the top of the mounds. They counted at least 400 years of growth on that tree.